- 6 slices bacon
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 bay leaf
- Black pepper, to taste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 2 cloves OR 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled turnips OR small cauliflower florets
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2, 7.5-oz cans salmon; reserve juices
- 2, 14-oz cans full fat coconut milk
- Separate salmon into chunks; pick through for bones. Chop any skin very fine, if desired in chowder.
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, until fat is released, about 10 minutes. Add onion, dill, bay leaf, black pepper and cayenne; and cook until bacon is barely crispy, about 10 more minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, turnips/cauliflower and chicken broth. Simmer until vegetables are almost tender (about 5–7 minutes).
- Add salmon chunks and juices, and simmer a few more minutes to heat through. Stir in coconut milk. Bring to a slow boil; then simmer over low heat for a few minutes. Remove bay leaf.